The issues of competence of the Commission on the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation and the Northern sea route include:
- study of rational nature management and biodiversity conservation in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation;
- environmental monitoring of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation;
- study and analysis of production, technological and socio-economic processes related to the development of the transport infrastructure of the Northern sea route and the strategic presence of the Russian Federation in the Arctic zone;
- preparation for the Public Council and other interested persons of proposals and recommendations to strengthen the presence of the Russian Federation in key areas of the Arctic ocean and the creation of sustainable prerequisites for the integrated socio-economic development of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation on the basis of systematic interaction of the state, Rosatom, organizations of various organizational and legal forms and forms of ownership, civil society, as well as the elimination of infrastructure constraints of economic development, the solution of social problems;
- organization of expert and consulting support and public control in the field of solving problems of nuclear heritage in the Arctic region.