The Public Council of the State Atomic Energy Corporation «Rosatom» was established in 2006 and is a permanent advisory and consultative public control body. It ensures interaction of Rosatom state Corporation and industry enterprises with public associations, citizens of the Russian Federation, regional and local authorities, professional associations in order to develop recommendations for decision-making in the field of nuclear energy use and development of nuclear energy.
The public Council carries out its functions on the basis of the Constitution of the Russian Federation, Federal constitutional laws, Federal laws and other normative legal acts of the Russian Federation, this Regulation on the Public Council, as well as decisions and other documents of the Public Council approved by the Chairman of the Public Council.
The composition of the Public Council is formed of independent experts from professional associations and scientific organizations, representatives of interested Federal and regional public organizations, representatives of nuclear industry organizations (not more than 4 people), representatives of the Public chamber of the Russian Federation.
Participation in the Public Council is carried out on the principle of voluntariness.
Members of the Public Council carry out their activities on a voluntary basis.
The decisions of the Public Council are Advisory to the Corporation.
The provision of the Public Council and the Public Council approved by the CEO of the Corporation and published on the official websites of the Public Council and Corporation (www.osatom.ru and www.rosatom.ru) in information and communication network "Internet".
Tasks of the Public Council:
- organization of effective cooperation between Rosatom state Corporation, citizens, public associations, professional associations, state, regional and local authorities in order to develop recommendations for decision-making in the field of nuclear energy;
- facilitating the exchange of views on the development of the nuclear industry, environmental protection, nuclear and radiation safety, socio-economic development of the territories where nuclear facilities are located between industry representatives, public and scientific organizations, professional associations;
- informing the public about the main activities of Rosatom state Corporation, including through the mass media and public discussion of issues related to the activities of Rosatom state Corporation in the field of nuclear energy;
- preparation of conclusions on the results of consideration of draft laws and other draft normative legal acts and documents, including software, developed by Rosatom state Corporation, which cannot be adopted without preliminary discussion at the meetings of the Public Council;
- participation in the development, consideration and coordination of concepts, programs, initiatives of citizens, public associations and organizations on the most pressing issues of the nuclear industry;
- participation in monitoring the quality of public services, implementation of control and supervisory functions, the progress of anti-corruption and personnel work, evaluation of the effectiveness of public procurement, consideration of annual activity plans, as well as other issues provided for by the current legislation;
- organization of public control on issues related to the activities of Rosatom state Corporation through the formation of public inspection;
- study and generalization of the experience of foreign countries in solving environmental, environmental and social problems in the field of nuclear energy;
- exchange of experience and best foreign practices in ensuring public support for the safe development of nuclear energy in the world.
There are currently six reception rooms of the Public Council in Sosnovy Bor, Zelenogorsk, and Novouralsk, Zheleznogorsk, Seversk, Volgodonsk.